Save an extra £150 using SALE150 for summer 2019 departures and save £50 using WIN50 on winter departures 2019 Holiday Sale

Legal requirements

Legal requirements

There are a number of documents that you'll need to ensure you have with you before travelling to Greece for your wedding.

Take a look at our handy guide below, which summarises all the necessary documents: This paperwork is extremely important, so please feel free to contact us to clarify any points you are unsure of. Once you've booked your wedding with us, we'll supply you well in advance, with full details in writing of all the necessary procedures and documents required for all types of weddings.

We also kindly request that you send us copies of all your paperwork, so we can check everything before you take all the original documents to resort. We'll even send you a reminder letter three months before your wedding, just to be sure. 

Required documents and minimum residency


Minimum period of residency

7-9 days    

10 year British Passports required

(Non British passport holders should contact us prior to booking, to establish correct paperwork requirements.)


Full A4 birth certificates with both parents' names



For weddings in Greece: Both bride and groom must obtain this from their local Registry Office, as legal proof that they are free to marry. The document must be dated no more than three months prior to your wedding date. It takes approximately 10 working days to issue from the date of your appointment at the Registry Office.



Original of the Decree Absolut



Spouse’s original death certificate as well as their previous marriage certificate.



Proof of adoption


If you have changed your name by deed poll, or are known by a different name or have had your name altered in any way – a Deed Poll Certificate must be produced. The document must be stamped and signed by a Solicitor with all their contact details, along with full details of the Solicitor who witnessed the change of name.



For weddings in Greece: Please note that it is your responsibility to legalise all the documents required for your civil ceremony in Greece. This is done by forwarding all the documents to the Legalisation Department of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.



For all our Greek Island Weddings (with the exception of Rhodes) all required documents must be translated into Greek after they have been legalised. We can supply you with the contact details of our two independent translators approved by the Greek Embassy, who will translate them and arrange to have them stamped by the Greek Embassy.

For Rhodes, we will arrange to have the documents translated in resort. We must receive copies of all documents five weeks prior to departure for us to forward them on. The cost for translations is between 70 and 90 euros, but please note that these costs are subject to change.


Important legal formalities upon arrival to obtain marriage license and to pick up the Marriage Certificate. Some travel expenses may be incurred to travel to and from the local town hall.


Please note: All documents will be retained in resort by the local Greek authorities, so we advise couples to please ensure that they have duplicate copies of any important documents back at home, as they will not be returned to you. 

Your Olympic Wedding Co-ordinator will explain all the legal procedures at your first meeting, and will make the necessary appointments for you to register for and obtain the special licenses that authorise your wedding to take place during your stay.