Save £150 off summer 2019 holidays with SALE150 | Save £50 off winter holidays with WIN50 | See all our promotions here >>

Travel Updates

Monarch Group - Monday 2nd October 2017 07:00

We were sad to hear of the failure of the Monarch Group announced early today. Any of our clients who have booked arrangements involving Monarch flights, please be assured that we are working to find alternatives and that our Customer Service team will be in touch with you as quickly as possible with alternative suggestions.

For any of our clients overseas who are due to return on Monarch flights, please be reassured that you will be returned to the UK as nearly as possible in the circumstances to your original arrangements. Again our resort or customer service teams will be in touch with you as quickly as possible to tell you what has been arranged. In the meantime continue to enjoy your stay overseas.

Kos/Kalymnos/Leros - Friday 21st July 2017 10:00

During the night of 20th/21st July an earthquake occurred near the island of Kos. Our thoughts are with those affected. We can confirm that all of our guests and staff currently on the islands are safe, and that our hotels and apartments where guests are staying are operating normally. Kos airport, which was closed for a short time, has now reopened and it is expected that flights will be operating as scheduled.

Kos harbour is currently closed and guests due to travel by ferry to/from Kalymnos and Leros will be transferred using other ferry services.

Clients due to travel to Kos should travel to their departure airports and check in as normal. We remain in contact with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office who are also closely monitoring the situation and will keep our customers updated.

Hand Baggage Restrictions on Flights Inbound to the UK

On 21/3/17 the Government announced restrictions on the carriage of devices larger than a standard mobile 'phone in the aircraft cabin on flights to the UK from various countries including Turkey and Egypt. In June 2018, these restrictions were relaxed for some flights from Turkey, but not all. Please check the current restrictions at

Please be aware that if restrictions continue to apply to your flight, any device which you carry in contravention of the latest regulations may be confiscated.

Balearics sustainable Tourism Tax -  28 April 2016 at 15.30

A new Sustainable Tourism Tax will be introduced by the Balearic Government aimed at all overnight stays in Tourist Accommodation from the 1st July 2016. This will be collected at the accommodation.

The Balearic Government have advised that they shall be launching a website that will give further information about the tax and how the money is being spent and we shall add a link to this site as soon as it is available.

We understand that the tax will work out at between 1 - 2 euros per person per night (plus 10% VAT) and the amount payable will depend on the official rating of the accommodation (see table below).

Types of hotels, homes
or ships

High Season (01.05 - 31.10)


per person
per night

5 Star, 5 Star Luxury &
4 Star Superior Hotels
4 Star & 3 Star
Superior Hotels
1 Star, 2 Star &
3 Star Hotels
4 Key & 4 Key Superior
Tourist Apartments
3 Key Superior Tourist
1, 2 & 3 Key
Tourist Apartments
Holiday Rentals (fincas,
apartments & houses)
Tourist Cruise Ships 1
Rural Hotels, Agro Tourism
Accommodation & Inland
Tourism Accommodation
Hostels, Lodgings, Guest Houses,
Boarding Houses, Tourist
Camps or Campsites
Shelters & Refuges 0.5

Other Information

  • An additional 10% VAT will be added to the amount you pay locally.
  • Children under the age of 16 are not liable to pay the tax.
  • If you stay for more than 9 days the amount you pay for each additional night is reduced by 50%.
  • If you stay between 1st November and 30th April you'll pay 50% of the amount shown.
  • The amount you'll pay is based on the official rating of the accommodation according to the local Tourist Board classification. Our own accommodation rating will give you a good idea of the standard of the accommodation and is usually similar to the official rating, but there are some small differences between ratings. By using our ratings you should be able to work out an approximate amount to pay.

When and how to pay?

It is likely that you'll be asked to pay the tax when you check in at your accommodation. The Government haven't advised how this should be paid but we would recommend that you take sufficient Euro currency to cover the cost.

Arriving before 1st July 2016

If you travel to the Balearic Islands before the 1st July but are still at the accommodation after the 1st July, it is not clear whether you will have to pay the tax or not. We recommend that you budget for this cost just in case. If the Government clarify whether or not you will be required to pay we shall update this page.

Why do I have to pay?

The tax is something that is specifically aimed at tourists. It is a cost beyond our control. It is a Government imposed tax that has to be paid when you stay in accommodation in the Balearic Islands.